Friday, April 8, 2011

Classy Classes

Well I'm in my intro to networking class (fitting, no?) and the professor basically just told us that the rest of the material for the day is meant as a "nice break from lecture" and that we can feel free to network on our laptops, ipads and mobile devices until the required quiz on bit rates and binary hexat the end of the period. Meanwhile she keeps showing us crappy Youtube fan vids with terrible graphics and unbearably nerdy math music(please... don't even make me explain)

But I'm lucky because for no reason at all I decided to actually bring my laptop to class even though I don't usually do that because it intimidates me and my laptop's battery life is too short.
But luckily I decided to bring it with me and I happened to find an outlet in the very back of the lecture hall so now I'm blogging.
I realized that a good deal of my school work pertains to my blog and I thought I'd just share a little bit more about myself by talking a bit about some cool classes I took/am taking this year,

  1. FILM Transmedia Storytelling

    Street name: Star Wars Class

    Term: Fall quarter '10

    Professor: Cool blonde nerd. wore glasses like these
    and dresses that looked like Jedi capes. Likes Buffy and is a huge Trekkie. Slight lisp. Very sarcastic.

    Level of Difficulty: Medium

    Why it was great: Not only was Professor Scott a lot of fun to listen to and really intelligent, but the class itself was both challenging and interesting (and in no way time consuming.) and I learned a thing or two about Transmedia storytelling (the telling of stories across multiple mediums such as Star Wars, The Matrix, Heroes etc.)
    We mainly focused on Star Wars as the main example, exploring a variety different of mediums that the story is featured in such as the original films, books, cartoons, video games, talking toys, comic books, even holiday specials! It was a lot of fun and such a unique class.
    And I mean...Star Wars rules, man.
  2. Intro To Networking

    Term: Current (Spring '11) ...actually I'm IN this class right now...HAH.

    Professor: Another Geeky  woman. Very smart. Knows all of the new gadgets. Uses (almost too much) nerd humor. Knows more about Facebook than I do but doesn't have an account.

    Level of Difficulty: Medium/Easy

    Why It's great: I'm learning about useful internet stuff that I can use like how to connect a router and how to write html and count in binary
  3. Intro To Design

    Term: Current (Spring '11)

    Professor: Attractive Blond-ish man with facial hair and Swagger with a capital "S." Possibly gay. Borderline scary but he knows what he's talking about so It's okay.

    Why It's great: Well...I think I'll leave the answer to this for future posts to come. The class is wonderful. Exactly what I hoped for so I expect to be posting about it soon.

No comments: